Sunday, March 11, 2018

Do-Nation

I have been collecting yarn for ... years, storing it in big boxes that I then hide in a closet. When Y moved in and needed the closet, I relocated the yarn to the livingroom, where it overtook a corner. Some of it I actually used, but there was a lot of it I would never use as I kept going to the JoAnn's Fabric store up the street from the Costco and WalMart across the street. Easy to make both stops in an afternoon, and I always bought yarn that I said I could use for ... whatever.

The bottom line is that my yarn hoarding was out of hand, taking up too much room without providing me with a finished project in return. So, I made it my mission to clean out the yarn stash, beginning with buying 6 clear plastic tubs for storage. I figured if I could see what was in the storage boxes, I would be more inclined to use what I have on hand than I would be tempted to stop at JoAnn' or WalMart. I can proudly admit that I now have just 6 clear plastic bins of yarn stash, and it's only that I think I will use. If there were any doubt, it went into another pile dubbed donation.

Okay, the final step was just as important as the actual starting to clean up the hordes of yarn: I had to get it out of the house. We have a senior center, the Mizell Center, and a couple of volunteers there conduct both knitting and crocheting classes each week. I put all the donations into the SUV and drove directly to the Mizell Center, where I dropped off all the boxes and plastic shopping bags full of yarn.

I did it. After talking about needing to complete this project for the past 3 or so years, I did it! I have moved from living in the Don'tNation to the DoNation and it feels good. The final step will be driving by JoAnn's and refraining from walking the yarn aisle at WalMart as I am committed to using what I have on hand, rather than buying more yarn, and I'm not sure yet how firm that commitment is.

And Red Heart is coming out with a collection of soft green shades that they call Succulents. I'm already dreaming about what I can make ... .

No comments: