Thursday, March 15, 2018

PORCUPINE PROJECT

I have really dry skin, so when I saw a skein of Red Heart Scrubby yarn, I thought wow, that would feel good in the shower with some creamy lotion soap to exfoliate my dry skin.

I bought two skeins because I always think use one, have a spare waiting its turn. And, I love knitting washcloths because they take about two hours and outlast any store brand I’ve ever tried. I use Lily’s Sugar ‘n Cream all cotton yarn to make most of my washcloths, both for the kitchen and the bathroom, and I’m always satisfied with the end product of that endeavor. However, using Red Heart’s Scrubby yarn is an epic fail.

Yes, I finished the washcloth, and it was painful. Whatever gives the scrubby texture to the yarn is very abrasive on the hands while knitting the yarn. My fingers were chafed from working the yarn, and the shorter pieces of fiber wrapped around the yarn kept getting caught in my knitting stitches, giving the appearance of an extra stitch that I was tempted to work before I caught on to what it was. It was very challenging to monitor the stitches, especially at the beginnings of each row when I had to knit 1, knit 2 together, yarn over, knit 2 together to make the border.

I would not recommend this yarn to anyone. It’s a much better idea than it is an experience.

No comments: