Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Flashpoint

One could assume that alerting the USPS to potential mail fraud and/or expressing concern for one's personal identity safety would attract attention. One could assume that contacting a major charity organization also named on the mail I've been receiving would attract that organization's concern for protecting correspondence that is coming to my address, not theirs.

Not so, it seems. Instead, my persistent attempts to convince someone, anyone, at the USPS that someone is using my address and the name of a local charity to divert mail is merely an annoyance. It's been going on for about 6 months, during which time I've reported it directly to my mail carrier at the box on the street twice, to the postal workers at the local branch several times, and to the manager at the local branch twice, to no avail.

I am assured that I have no legal obligation in this situation, but I'm more concerned about the moral obligation!

Today, I decided to call the organization directly and alert them that someone is diverting their mail to my address. Goodness, you would think that someone, anyone would thank me for taking the time to inform them about this situation, but that's not what happened.

After assuring me several times that no one with the name I gave them is employed by their organization, as well as confirming that the address I was providing is not one of "their" addresses, I gave up, apologized for taking the time to interrupt their busy day, and hung up. I'm not sure why the 2 different individuals I tried to explain the situation to could not understand that someone is putting their business at jeopardy by diverting their mail to my home, but that's what happened.

From this point on, whatever mail I receive, including the credit cards to many local businesses, as well as personal and official correspondence, I will toss it into the trash. I'm tired of noting each piece of mail with "incorrect address" and returning it to the post office. I'm tired of providing information about the situation to people who do nothing about it. I'm tired of worrying about both the potential damage for the business and to myself if my address is being used by this individual for other possibly illegal activities.

I've done my best to stop this situation, but if no one cares as much as I care about it, so be it.

No comments: