Saturday, September 29, 2007

Landscaping: My Newest Hobby

What a great idea: create an environment in the front yard and strategically place small benches so I can enjoy the tranquility of my creation.

And how hard can it be to make a coupla benches? Bring it on!

The materials for 3 benches I designed were all precut before I brought them home, so it was just an assembly project. However, what was I thinking when I chose 2x8x12 for the seats, had it cut into lengths, then used 2x4s as braces, and topped it off with 4x4 legs long enough to bury 15”?????

Do I have to tell you how heavy the finished project is? These benches will be able to seat 2-3 people, substantial people, without a quiver. I’m not going to paint them until the environments are finished because I want the benches to be part of the landscaping, and not stick out like sore thumbs. Besides, I don't want to have to move them anymore than it takes!

Two of the benches are set in place, waiting to be leveled before pouring the concrete into the holes. The third bench is waiting for me to finish excavating a pit tangled with roots from the tree next door. I’ve dug and dug and dug, but have run into some very thick roots, about 3” in diameter, and it’s slow-going. Once I get all the obstructions cleared and the hole dug, it’ll be easy to set the bench in place, but getting through all the rocks and roots was more than my tired body could do—after making the 3 benches and digging the holes for the other 2.

Don’t know if the first landscaper will ever show up, so I’m pondering alternatives. Today, Saturday, two guys who work for a nearby city came by to talk about the project. They are willing to finish it for me and took copies of my pictures and drawings of the concept. I’m going to continue to work on the Friendship Cactus Garden until they show up, as well as finish cleaning up the mess in the big yard. They seem enthused not only about making some extra cash, but also by doing their first solo landscaping project. They’ve completed many projects for the city, so know what they are doing, but have wanted to start their own landscaping company to earn extra income—and I’m their first project.

So there it is.

This may work out or it may not, but I'm just working on this hobby one day at a time. Some days are good, and some are frustrating, but I'm bound to run out of things to do sooner or later and end up with a landscaped yard. Right?

1 comment:

Liza said...

I don't believe it, but the original landscaper called and he's finally back from Mexico and wants to do the job. I told him I've called repeatedly for the past 3 weeks and never had a return phone call, so I contacted other people to provide me with bids on the job.

That puts my into a hard spot because I already talked to the 2 guys today and have given them the job. They, however, can't start until next weekend, while the orginal guy could probably have it done in 2 days.

Oh, well.