Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I KNOW BETTER!

MSN is the worst: they offer all kinds of incentives for "free" products and suck you into trying other products vis a vis a "survey" that is actually a marketing tool.

However, in a moment of weakness, there was an offer for the new Oreo snack cakes, and I thought I'd take advantage of the offer as I often take snack cakes to night classes with me for the students who come straight from work.

AARRGGHH! It was another darned marketing strategy. Even though I exited quickly, it was not quickly enough to avoid the deluge of spam that has followed! I am now receiving about 15 messages a day, all including my name (I thought the Oreo offer was sincere, so I actually provided my name so I could get the goodies) to personalize the message and, hopefully, convince me that I have solicited the spam.

I've run AdAware and Norton/McAfee, and now I'm going into the program files on the hard drive to be sure all the temp internet files are deleted, although I know in my mind that there is no way to keep them from taking over my computer.

Damn MSN!

This is the ONLY site where I encounter these issues, but it's the address I use for business mail, so don't want to delete the account and start over.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me repeatedly--shame on me for falling for it again!

No comments: