Saturday, December 1, 2007

Cookie Tins

I volunteered to have the b'fast club Christmas function at my house this year. They all know I don't decorate, but I did find 6 Christmas music CDs, so it must be my destiny to entertain this year. I have candles and can find some garland, and if I twine my houseplants with twinkle lights, it may do as decoration. However, if guests are going to cross my threshold, I need holiday goodies to go with the music, so that means tins filled with an assortment of whatevers.

A quick trip to the market yesterday walked me past a display of small tins, each with its own variety of cookie to bake: pumpkin spice, apple pie, banana walnut, caramel macchiato, peppermint mocha, and dark chocolate expresso. The baking kit was marked $2.99 and required 1 egg and 5 tablespoons of butter and baking. Half the flavors came with frosting packets, and the only thing better than a plain cookie is a frosted cookie.

What a deal.

I've seldom met a cookie I didn't like, and I've recently discovered the bags of Betty Crocker cookie mix at 4 for $7, which, when the butter and egg are added, make some mighty delicious cookies! If the tins of cookie mix bake up half as well, I'm ready for the ho-ho-holidays!

An hour and a half later, I now have a delightful assortment of one dozen each of six different kinds of cookies--along with many dozens each of choco chip and oatmeal with craisins. An added benefit is a heated home without turning on the furnace and air freshener the likes of none that come in a can!

The success of the holiday season begins with a single step, and since I've taken that, it's off to the local variety store to check into twinkle lights!

No comments: