Friday, December 21, 2007

Making Martha Better

Yesterday, Martha and a guest made a simple holiday treat: Ritz crackers dipped in chocolate. At first, I thought ... yuk, but then I thought hmmm, so, on the way home from Friday b'fast, I stopped and bought groceries, including the box of Ritz ($2) and the big hunk 'o melting chocolate (milk chocolate, my favorite, at $2.64).

When I got home, emptied the grocery bags, and set up for making the choco crackers, I glanced at the 1/2 empty jar of marshmallow creme ($1.29), left over from a batch of fudge. I thought why not? So, while the milk choco was slowly melting in the microwave set on power level 1, I globbed some marshmallow creme on the top of a dozen crackers.

My motto is "dare to do the recipe differently."

I dipped the marshmallow side first, then flipped the cracker and finished covering it with the melted chocolate, then set the crackers on the Sil-pat to dry. I did another 2 dozen crackers without the marshmallow creme, but broke one cracker in half to make a tester.

I shoulda covered ALL the crackers with marshmallow before dipping because they are delicious! My choco layer is a bit thick (duh!), but boy, is this a good treat. I got 3 dozen treats for about $6.00, a bargain in anyone's kitchen.

This is so easy to do that a child literally could do it without any parental interference. Next time you think marshmallow treats, think chocolate marshmallow Ritz crackers instead. Really.

No comments: