Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Film Favorites

I’ve been off movies for a while, staying home during the cold weather to work on unfinished craft projects. Actually, I’ve made credible progress toward completion of several projects, and have also watched an unbelievable number of reruns of L&O that have kept me company on the couch. I never watched all of those shows the first time around as I was working 2-3 jobs continuously for the past 30 years, so although they are “ho-hum, not more Law & Order” for most folks, they are all fresh episodes to me! And may I just say that Christopher Meloni can come for lunch any day he’s free!

This past weekend, I went to Juno with my movie buddy. Coming at it from my perspective, after working with pregnant 16-year-olds for the past 30 years, it wasn’t as amusing to me as much as it was poignant. The actor portraying Juno does an excellent job of capturing the pseudo-sophistication of 16-year-old children who are so wise beyond their years in some respects, while totally naïve in so many others. The dialogue, however, is way too sophisticated for a 16-year-old girl! The thought processes, decision-making, and actions come from the mind of a much older writer who has to work hard to make the idea of the movie work. For me, it would have been more believable if the movie portrayed what a real 16-year-old pregnant girl would think, do, and say, but that wouldn’t have been so much funny as it would have been pathetic.

I found myself laughing that self-conscious laugh when it’s not funny, but it’s funny. I felt such sadness that this movie, in many ways, makes being 16 and pregnant “cool,” when it’s anything but “cool” for the pregnant child, as well as for the infant that results. One good aspect is that the boyfriend is so not “hot,” so much more nerd, that at least that visual helps young girls to realize that any guy can get them pregnant, not just the sex masters of the local high school. I also like that when Juno realizes that the much older potential adoptive father comes on to her, she shuts him down. Too many young girls today would be taken in by the older guy’s sexual interest, giving them something to talk about with their friends at school the next day.

Today, I saw The Great Debate and was totally engaged in the plot, as well as the many layers of subtlety that help a good movie to become great. The talent is outstanding: children actors all too often have to act the part, but these young actors, portraying students, were natural in the roles and very believable. The debate is the vehicle for social commentary that brings to a close the web of sub-plots that keeps the viewer engaged with the film. My favorite piece of literature is To Kill a Mockingbird, and this movie captures the same intensity, issues, and importance of Harper Lee’s literary masterpiece.

The Great Debate joins 3:10 to Yuma, No Country for Old Men, and The Valley of Elia as my most recent favorite films. The cinematography is steady, rather than that annoying rapidly flashing technique that young people think is cool. The stories have depth and breadth, not flash and fade. The issues that are at the core of the films are important and handled well. The acting is excellent as all of these pieces are about character, not location, fashion, or fad, and the actors develop, sustain, and triumph in their portrayals of the people around whom the storylines develop. When I want to see the film again, it’s a good movie, and I'll see all of these movies again when they come to the local video store.

All in all, I’m enjoying the big screen right now!

No comments: