Sunday, January 6, 2008

Stormy Weather

The second of a forecast three storms is blowing in, coming from the pass to the west. The leading edge is a dark grey line advancing toward my back yard. In front of the leading edge of the storm, the sun is shining, but behind the facade it is cold, windy, and wet.

It's been snowing on the surrounding mountains for several hours, but so far, we've only seen light sprinkles on the ground. The third storm is due in either later today or tomorrow, so we'll see what, if anything, arrives to give the parched desert another winter drink.

I like the rain, but not the cold that accompanies it. The wind driving the storm into the valley whips against the metal shed housing my next door neighbor's outside water heater, and the ensuing racket is enough to wake me from a sound sleep. One of these days, when I know they're away, I'm going to take some plywood and box that sucker in. I doubt they'll ever know the difference, but I sure will!

1 comment:

Liza said...

It rained most of the night and into the wee hours of the morning, but it's clearing up now, leaving behind that clean feeling only the rain can give Mother Earth.