Thursday, June 5, 2008

I Want the Money, Not the Job.

My mother was involved in hiring a part-time employee whose work schedule was Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, evenings only (4 pm to 9 pm). There were many applicants for the job and the person who was selected for the position was thrilled: as a college student, the job would not interfere with his class schedule, the pay was acceptable, and the working conditions excellent.

Two months after beginning the job, the new employee sued the city (the employer) for discrimination because he was "stuck" working weekends and evenings, while other employees got to work either days and/or weekdays. It was "unfair" that he had to give up his weekends to work, while other employees didn't. He won his case in spite of the fact that the hiring notice, the application, and the interview process all verified that it was clearly specified this position was for a part-time employee who would only work Th-Sunday 4 - 9 pm. It wasn't long after the court's decision that my mother retired, unable either to understand or to accept that the employee could win such a case.

Over a week ago, I talked to a former student about staying in my home while I’m gone during July to take care of my dog and water my plants. I talked about the days I would be gone (20), how she didn’t need to stay at the house 24/7, but I would want her to stay in the house every night I was away. I told her I have an alarm system, as well as a fenced yard, a vigilant dog, and a neighbor who keeps an eye on things, but I want someone to stay in my house with my dog while I’m gone. She was thrilled at the possibility of the job, but I cautioned her to talk to her parents to see if they would agree to this arrangement because it would be their decision to make.

When she called back to say she was interested, I again discussed the details and asked her to come to the house to see if she would feel comfortable staying here. We made an appointment for today, and I drove back from helping son pack to meet with her. Her (older) brother came with her and we went through the entire scenario. I again asked if her parents are supportive of this job offer, and both she and her brother enthusiastically said, “Yes.” I reminded her that because she’s a minor (17), her parents would basically be in charge while I was gone. I had already talked to her mom briefly last week and asked her if it was going to be okay for her daughter to house and dog sit for me, and her mother told me it would be fine.

Today, we discussed duties (take care of the dog, water the plants, walk to the PO and pick up my mail), the price (1/2 at the start of the job; 1/2 when I returned), and my expectation that she would be here every night, but could work, go to summer school, hang out with her friends, whatever, during the day. I told her that Mia's used to being alone during the day, but not at night, so that's why I am hiring someone to stay with her. Yes, she could have family or friends stay with her; no, she didn’t need to be here all the time, but I want her to be here every night. She and her brother loved Mia, and Mia returned their feelings, licking the brother's face from top to bottom and side to side, a sure sign that Mia found the guy okay.

Thus, enthusiastic agreement and the deal is struck.

An hour ago, she called to tell me that her mother is concerned about her staying nights at my house, so she wants to know if she’s here during the day, like every afternoon, but didn’t spend the nights – would that be okay? The answer to that question is “NO!” I want someone to be here with Mia as much as possible while I’m gone, but most especially each night, and that was the only requirement for accepting the job: take care of my dog. Her brother can stay with her Sat-Sun (4 of the days I’m gone) and her mom could stay with her a couple of the days (maybe another 3-4), which means that about 2/3 of the time I'm gone, Mia would be left alone.

She sounded really disappointed when I told her I don’t think that’s going to work, especially at the price I am willing to pay to have someone here most or all of the time, not some of the time. I told her I’ll think about it, but I can’t see how being here for a couple of hours each afternoon is going to meet Mia's needs.

Back to square one.

There’s a lot of that going around these days, especially when I either ask a friend for a favor or try to hire someone to do a job for me. I finally realize how valuable my services have been to friends whose dogs I’ve kept literally for days/weeks/months when there’s been a need. I finally realize how frustrating it is not to know people who will return in kind that which I have offered freely so many times in the past. I finally realize that I’m sorry I’ve paid for a ticket to take a vacation with my grandson when my first responsibility is to my dog, because when I can’t make sure my dog is cared for, I really cannot leave my home.

This sucks. I’m pissed and I’m going to stay pissy until I feel like letting go of yet another disappointment in what is becoming a very long line of disappointments.

No comments: