Monday, June 9, 2008

What's the Plan, Stan?

George next door is taking care of Mia, happily so, according to my ex-husband's wife, who speaks Spanish and confirmed the pictogram I made so George and I could discuss this situation. What a huge load removed from my mind! He and Mia have bonded through the chain link fence, so I am completely confident that she will be well-cared for while I'm gone.

My friend has a key to the house and the remote for the garage, so she's all set to come by and check on things. Another friend always has a back-up set of keys, too, because you just never know.

The packing isn't finished, but it's close. Today is son's day to do the last-minute errands associated with leaving for another country, as well as packing the last stack of small boxes. We worked long and hard yesterday, but couldn't quite finish the process. Neither one of us is a fine physical specimen, but we do know hard work and consistent effort, so we're overcoming the obstacles to the stupendous task we've been given.

Tuesday, son will pick up the trailer while I drive back to his apartment. We'll move boxes down the stairs (God, do I HATE stairs) and into the trailer. When the trailer's full and the apartment empty, he'll turn in his keys and we'll start the drive to my house, so I can shower, change, pick up my suitcase, lock up the house and start driving to the far eastern seaboard.

Then, the true challenge begins: can son and mother co-exist in a locked vehicle traveling 3250 miles together? If we weren't so much alike, it could be easier, but being so much alike has made the whole process possible because one of our common traits is our commitment to stick with it until it's finished -- come hell or high water.

Life isn't always pretty or easy, but it is doable, so let's just get this done!

No comments: