Sunday, June 22, 2008

Plan the Work; Work the Plan

My eyes popped open at 4 am, so I got out of bed and began my day because I had nothing to read; hence, no early morning cup of coffee and a coupla chapters! By 6:30, I was movin’ through the house like a whirling dervish …

Well, that may be a slight exaggeration (what we in the biz call hyperbole), but I was cleaning the couches and the floors, Mia’s domain. For a short-haired dog, she sheds like few dogs I’ve ever seen. I used the vacuum left behind in the recent move and filled the bagless cup area 4 separate times with rug fuzz and dog hair. I banged the air filter at the same time I emptied the collection cup as the fine dirt that comes with the winds out here clogs everything. As I was trying to clean the tracks for the new slider, I noticed that the powerful “wind tunnel” wasn’t doing the job, so I hefted it onto a chair and took a look. My son shredded docs for days – and the air hose was clogged with chad! I had to disassemble the machine, which brought back the time many years ago when I purchased a new vac and son took it apart to see how it worked. Yeah, he put it back together, but there were a few tense moments.

Anyhoo, as I vacuumed, I also spot-cleaned the rug; however, there were so many spots that I just as easily could have called in Stanley Steemer (which I’ll do when I return the end of July from the second trip to Canada). The house both looks and smells fresher, but still needs the fan blades cleaned, the furniture dusted, and the tiles mopped (which I’ll do when it cools off).

Then it was off to Sam’s Club for the bare necessities: books! I found 3 of the titles on my list and picked up the last one next door at the Wal-Mart, where I also bought a new shower head. I loved using my children’s fancy adjustable shower heads, so I treated myself to one: just have to install it and then try it out. I also bought a new keyboard as I literally wore out several of the keys on the old one. I bought plug in and cheap as I’m not a big fan of the wireless products so many computer users favor. I’ve had several wireless mice and all I’ve done is replace batteries, which isn’t cost effective in my world view. I like this keyboard with the exception that it’s having issues when I type double letters, but what can you expect for $20?

Before I could go shopping, I had to stop by a friend’s home and empty her car, which has been sold on-line while she’s at home in PA. I had already showered and dressed in clean clothes, so intended to back the car out of the garage to make access easier and finish the job in a jiffy, but the battery was disconnected, so I got to worm my way between the other vehicle and the cabinets along the wall, which made the job harder to do. And, there was a lot of stuff in her car for an obsessive person who cleans her car every week even when she hasn’t driven it! It didn't take long before I was dripping sweat, getting my clothes dirty, and calling my friend some pretty choice names. Oh, well. It’s done, my shopping is finished, and the friend I picked up for company and I enjoyed our pan pizzas at Pizza Hut, and life is good.

My house sitter is coming by this evening after he gets off work, so I’m going to finish the cleaning and laundry that’s waiting for attention. I also have to get back outside to complete the paver patio project, but it’s into the triple digits again, but that can wait for much cooler days!

No comments: