Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Convenience of On-line Check-in

Do other people have these issues or is it I who foul up the computer systems associated with airline travel?

I booked my flight via Travelocity -- which now has "no record" of my reservation, although I have a saved electronic copy and a hard copy, both complete with Travelocity Trip ID and airline confirmation #. After repeatedly trying to log-on to my Travelocity account and being assured that my log-in name and password don't exist, I gave up and enrolled anew.

As I should have known, repeating the process does not solve the current problem, it simply creates a new problem. Now, I am greeted as a "new" customer and still don't have access to my former account although I used the identical info for the new account as for the old. There is no history of my existence within the Travelocity system, even though I've used the site for the past many years to book my flights. But ... I was warmly welcomed via email to the convenience of the Travelocity experience.

Rather than continuing to deal with Travelocity, I decided to use the American Airlines website for check-in! Not. I can access the site, but cannot check-in on-line unless I first sign up for an AA Advantage account, which I finally did. Had the same problem with United on a recent flight, so am also now a member of that flight club, but have never been able to use that functionality and have no miles accrued because the site doesn't accept my membership number!

Before signing up for the service, when I first attempted to use the on-line check-in, I could get to a certain place and then could not finish the process. Now, with the new AA flight club approval, the check-in box allows me to check in on-line, but ... that functionality is not working, so please try back later. And again. And again. And again.

In the past, I've showed up an hour early for the flight and either used a major credit card or stood in line for check-in. Guess that's what I'll be doing again this time because the convenience of on-line check-in doesn't seem to be an option for this traveler at this time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.