Saturday, July 5, 2008

I was abused as a child ...

which is either my reason, my explanation, or my excuse for my bad behavior as an adult.

Recently, I listened to an interview with a person accused of committing serial crimes and was not surprised to hear the "dysfunctional family" defense become the justification for the criminal activity.

Some general personal observations:

(1) you are unique, possessing genetic characteristics, but your own person. Don't adhere yourself to behaviors based on genetics: they give a predisposition toward certain characteristics and behaviors, but it's a lot more than that when it comes to how you turn out!

Also, (2) it is a challenging lesson to learn that family is the blood you carry, but not always the people who support you when you need it. It amazes me how some family members can boast in public to enhance their image, but never follow through in private.

(3) I learned at an early age that it's up to me to be the person I am; thus, when all is said and done, either I have made it or I have failed to reach my goals. No one else takes credit, but no one else is to blame.

Thus, grow up, get over it, and accept full responsibility for your own life. Flip Wilson's tag line was "the Devil made me do it." Maybe that will work for you, too?

No comments: