Sunday, July 27, 2008

Speaking of George ...

I recently learned that my next-door neighbor's name is not George.

His son stopped by for a visit and was getting his family into the car while I was watering in the back yard. He greeted me, I greeted him, and then commented on how much I enjoy having his father, George, as a next-door neighbor.

The son told me that his father's name is not George, providing me with his correct name in the process.

I apologized profusely for the error. I explained that I asked George his name when I introduced myself, and I was sure he said it was George. As a matter of fact, I continued, I asked him if his name was George, and he answered, "it's okay."

Well, the son explained, he thinks it's kinda cute that I call him George, so don't worry about it.

To which George, said, "it's okay."

I get it: when he doesn't understand English, he just says "it's okay" and life goes on. Perhaps I could take a life lesson from ... George. Don't sweat the small stuff: it's okay.

No comments: