Monday, December 22, 2008

Dental Doings

I arrived this morning at 7:45 am for my 8:00 appointment because it's hard to tell what the traffic will be like going from my side of the freeway to the other. Some days, it's backed up so far it takes 1/2 hour to make it across the overpass; other days, such as this morning, I hit the window of opportunity squarely and sailed across, arriving too early.

No matter. I use office time to read magazines I'd never pick up or purchase for myself. This issue was filled with "stars" I've never heard of, much less would recognize if I met them face-to-face. I do now know that Jen is tired of being in a love triangle, Kate is hooking up with Owen again, and J-Lo isn't wearing her wedding ring. It doesn't get much better than that, right?

Part of a tooth fell off when I brushed last Thursday, so I made an appointment to find out what has to do be done and how much it will cost. Without dental insurance, I need options, and my dentist is very good at discussing, rather than dictating. He could try to repair the tooth, but I told him I want the most bang for my buck, meaning a fix that is going to go the distance, so we're doing a crown.

The tooth didn't hurt when I walked in, but holy cow, is it throbbing now! The prep work for the crown is completed, leaving behind the after-effects of the deadening agent's demise. I don't know what he did while I was numb, but it sure hurts now that I'm not!

I'll get the final crown the second week in January as there is no timely process when it's during the holiday season. I've paid for half and must pay the balance before the final glue sets, so let's hope that the rest of the teeth don't need special attention for a while.

No comments: