Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Dreaded "F" Word

I can count on one hand (hyperbole) the number of times that I've actually forwarded something to another email account because forwarded messages are one of my pet peeves. Just because you think something is cute, adorable, relevant, meaningful, or (my favorite) necessary for my spiritual well-being, doesn't mean that I will share your opinion of the message.

A dear friend is the worst (or is it the best) offender: I set up one email account and she flooded it with forwarded messages, so I set up another account and asked all recipients to use it for personal messages, not cute, clever, meaningful, spiritually rewarding, forwarded messages. She jammed that mailbox, so I set up a third site, and now that one is flooded with incoming. I can handle forwards, but don't want to deal with dozens of them daily -- and that is not an exaggeration!

Sure there are those people about whom I don't give a crap that I can tell to stop sending the stuff, but when it's someone close to me, a person I care about, I try to find a roundabout way to stem the tide. Subtlety, however, does not seem to work. I have divided my 3 mailboxes into one I use primarily for work or contact with on-line businesses, one that seems to be the forwarded mail site, and one that is for friends and family to contact me. Perhaps if I send a clarifying message about my system she will limit the forwards to one account?

I do enjoy some forwards, but the keyword is "some." A daily stream of them becomes tedious and then annoying, especially when it is some sort of test that I must pass by sending this message back to the person who sent it to me to prove my loyalty to the sender. My coping strategy has been to delete, rather than open, read, and then delete, which escalates my hostility, rather than satisfies my curiosity or proves my friendship status. I know from experience that I'm probably not going to appreciate the message as the sender intends, so why go through the process to arrive at that conclusion when I can avoid it completely by deleting first?

No comments: