Monday, December 29, 2008

TiVO or not TiVO?

Updating the Update: thanks to a comment left on this blog, something clicked & I found an old cable for a cheapo movie camera I bought once upon a time. It worked! My Harmony remote is updated AND the clock now has the right time!!!!!

Updating: I made changes, bundling services with T-W for cable, phone, internet and DVR at a cost of $130, and canceled TiVO to save $12.95/month ($3 less than the DVR). The T-W bundle also offers the option to buy movies on-line, as well as some other options that cost extra if I use them. It's all digital, all the time, but I doubt that I have a digital TV -- nor want/need one. We'll see if this year's changes actually make a positive difference, but, just in case, my modem and TiVO will be in the closet.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Don't get me wrong: I love my TiVO, but lately, it's been acting up and I do not appreciate its antics.

First, the last 5-7 minutes of movies aren't recording! This may be related to the fact that I cannot change the time on my Harmony remote because I don't have the cable I need to attach it to the computer for updates. Yes, of course, I've gone to every form of electronics' store known to mankind and the bottom line is -- it comes with the Harmony remote. If you misplace the cable, as I evidently have done, you are SOL because no one has a replacement cable. However, you are certainly enticed to upgrade the Harmony remote, thus getting the required cable for a mere $200 better remote! Why replace what I already have as it works just fine -- except that I cannot update it and/or fix the time.

Secondly, my TiVO tapes the weirdest selection of programs you've ever seen just to have something to do, which means that every morning I have to go through the list and delete, delete, delete. I get cooking shows, court cases, variety shows, really old movies (I am so not a fan), and talk shows chosen by the TiVO genie who is obviously bored out of its skull. The delete list gets to 45-50 before the TiVO starts deleting, and I am not going to go through the endless delete process myself as I found that only makes the TiVO genie go out and find even more outrageous programs.

Believe it or not, my TiVO even records "movie." That description stands alone, with no title, no actors, no synopsis. I, of course, filled with curiosity, hit the play option and find a "movie" I've never heard about, with actors I don't recognize, often on channels I don't receive and didn't know existed. Some of them have been rated R, but I never watch enough of any of them to figure out why.

A year ago, I came to the conclusion that I had to something to staunch the flow of big bucks paying for TV cable ($57.75), DSL ($32.00), telephone ($59.50), and cell phone ($44.90), as well as the monthly TiVO call-up fee ($12.95). The total is coming up on $210 a month, which is a huge chunk of my retirement check. On my to-do list this week is a contact with Time Warner, one of my least favorite companies, to see if I can save by bundling cable, which includes DVR, computer, and phone services. Allegedly, I can accomplish this goal for about $90 a month, which would save me literally $100 a month over what I'm currently paying.

Wish me luck as I made changes last year that resulted in my paying more each month, and I'm still trying to figure that one out! It began with a phone call to an off-shore service rep whose limited English language skills focused on reading a script and responding to every question I asked with "I can help you with that... ." Need I say more?

3 comments:

Chris L said...

Hello,

I don't know the exact model of your Harmony Remote, but most of the Logitech remotes use a USB cable, but it has a mini plug on one end. If you want to buy one at an electronic store it would be called:
USB A to USB B 5 pin mini

Amazon happens to have one for $0.87 right now, although s&h adds a bit. Don't let some electronic's store guy charge you $30 for this cable.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Camera-Cable-MINI-B-OLYMPUS/dp/B000GBYVPI

The picture for the mini end should look like the opening on your remote control. BTW, this is the same cable that's used for many cameras and even some camcorders.

Chris

Liza said...

Thank you for the info!! I've carried the remote into several stores and repeatedly been told, "sorry." With all the other changes I've made, I need to update the Harmony, so will send for this cord NOW!

Chris L said...

I'm glad I was able help. :)

It has to happen occassionally.

It upsets me that people at the electronics stores are either too lazy or dishonest to give you good information.