Monday, December 1, 2008

Misc

It's one of those days when my mind is filled with little bubbles of thought that float through my head before they pop. Some of them pop sooner than others, and some of them should stick around longer.

Pretend you are sitting around a campfire and suddenly, without warning, another person grabs ahold of your arm and forces your wrist into the blazing fire, all the while stabbing it with a white-hot knife. That's what I'm dealing with since I picked up the textbook for class this morning -- and set my wrist off again. I've popped a continuous string of Aleve, wrapped it in hot, wet cloths, put ice packs on it, and worn the brace. The bottom line is that I cannot pull the cap off a board marker, pull my seatbelt across my body, turn the page in a textbook, or roll down my car window. For this whole thing being "nothing," it sure as hell is painful.

I listened to all the talk about how the stock market crashed today -- because it was announced that we've been in a recession since last December. Is that a delayed reaction or what?

Then I read this headline -- Huge Italian white truffle sells at auction for $200,000 -- and I wonder if someone didn't get the recession memo.

The discussion at work re: the annual Christmas party that hasn't been held for about 5 years took place via email. One person wants to revitalize it, feeling that during hard times it is important to celebrate with friends, colleagues, and family. A suggested gift exchange was nixed by one respondent, who thinks a donation to a charity is a better idea. Then the voice of reason spoke up and said why not do both? After all, it will probably only cost about $30, "peanuts," and because we all have jobs, we can afford that. OKAY: so why is there an option to send the endless string of messages about the Christmas party to ALL subscribers? Can I not opt out of that status as I think the discussion is just warming up to a real barn-burner and I'm not going to the party, buying a gift, or donating to the charity as I make those decisions without input from others.

I took 2 kinds of cookies into class today just because I wanted a cookie myself yesterday, which meant I baked an entire batch. Because I couldn't decide which kind of cookie I wanted and they both sounded good, oatmeal with craisins and/or sugar cookies with sugar-free frosting (talk about juxtaposition), I made both. Does that mean my diabetes won't care about the cookies I ate yesterday because I donated the rest of them to my class today?

I'm working M-T-W-Th this week: glad we're done in 3 weeks, before more instructors have to take care of personal business and want subs to proctor their finals.

No comments: