Saturday, November 14, 2009

Value Added

I can confirm that a $17 haircut is worth not one penny more, especially when the stylist adds, "$20 with the tip included."

I have a tip for her: she can't cut hair!!

My first clue should have been the price, the next clue the large sweeping cuts across my hair, rather than the delicate little snips I'm used to hearing, and the final clue the fact that her children stay in the salon while she works. Talk about a total hair experience ... .

The end result is this funny looking sort of mullet effect, with the front shaped differently than the back, curling toward my face, but really flat on top. The back, by itself, looks pretty good -- but it's a different hair style. You know how it's all supposed to blend into ONE uniform cut? Well, it doesn't; hence, the appearance of two different hair cuts at the same time.

It was difficult to find a local salon, much less a salon that only does haircuts as being in a salon that also does nails triggers my asthma. I called; I drove here and there; and then I found Monica -- and her two children -- and a slight language barrier -- and an unusual translation of the key words I fed her: trim; shaped; blended, not layered.

I've been telling myself it's just hair, but ya know -- I gotta go to work Monday.

No comments: