Thursday, January 28, 2010

Talkin' the Talk

In public education it is required that educators do not simply make a list of what needs to be done to pass a class, post it on the classroom door, and leave campus. Educators also provide the method and accountability strategies for accomplishing educational objectives -- and then show up to teach the students who enroll in the course.

I cannot give the "you have an opportunity to improve your writing" speech, then walk out of the room and let the students figure it out for themselves. I cannot blame the students for their failure to reach the goal to "write well" if I don't know what it is, how to teach it, how to measure progress toward that goal, and/or how to make course corrections to assure that everyone has an opportunity to achieve that goal. Assuring that the students learn to "write well" means that I engage in the developmental process with the students, monitor progress, adjust strategies, provide feedback and encouragement, and actively perform my part of the writing well process.

I cannot just talk the talk: I have to walk the walk.

Last night, the networks broadcast the President's message: it's not my fault that nothing I promised the American people is getting done! I've told the House, I've told the Senate, I've told the Supreme Court, I've told the media, I've told the public what I want, but no one is getting it done! If anyone has any ideas how to turn this train wreck around, let me know because ... it's obvious that I don't have a clue.

I promise we'll stop spending ... next year. I promise to let the public see all the pork projects added to the bills via an internet website, but I am not going to risk my job by actually vetoing them myself. I would close Gitmo, but I can't find anyone who wants the detainees in their state. I promise to deal with the issue of gays in the military because I really don't want to discuss the decision to try terrorists and enemy combatants in civilian courts. Every time I tell the public we're going to draw down, the terrorists ramp up their attacks on our military personnel, and nothing lowers poll numbers like increased military casualities. I'm not going to discuss health care reform because I've already said what I want done in that arena, but because Bush was in the White House for 8 years ... . I will create another commission to look at the problems facing Americans because if we're talking about it, the public will think we're doing something about it. The bottom line is that I'm going to continue to obfuscate with verbiage because let's face it: I just read what's on the teleprompter!

There's a slang saying for where the President is after one year in office: suck it up! It is your job, so do it or hand off the keys to the building.

2 comments:

Chris L said...

Your post is spot on with my reaction to President Obama and how he's executed the first year. He has revealed an inability to execute on his promises but like any good manager is more than willing to lay the blame elsewhere.
Let's hope he can learn from his mistakes.

John said...

I'm amazed that you would have such a different take on his speech from others.

In our political system, the President is only slightly more than a figurehead-- he proposes and the Congress enacts. And this President has very clearly detailed what he wants Congress to do and how he wants it done-- and they have failed to act. The Dems have failed to fulfill his desires and the Reps have blocked any possible movement and failed to propose their version of anything.

What I find the most amusing is that this President has reached out to the Reps three times publicly and they continue to bite at his hand. He has repeatedly asked them for their opinions and concerns and been mocked for it. He has repeatedly said, in essence, if you have a better idea, great, bring it to the table and show me/convince me... and NOT ONE REPUPLICAN has done so. Not one, not once.

So, in the end, the Reps are stopping his proposals from succeeding, are refusing to come up with ideas of their own, and are the most disrespectful to a President that I can remember (going back to Reagan), and yet it is somehow this President's fault?

I simply don't get that reasoning.