Monday, May 10, 2010

US Census: Redundant or Just Ridiculous??

Okay, it's not enough that I received the post card telling me that I would be receiving the US Census form and to fill it in or else. I then received another US Census form, and then a letter telling me that I would be receiving the US Census, and then a third packet for the US Census!! Every piece of correspondence warned me that I had to answer completely and honestly, and I did. Really.

Tonight, the phone rang. The caller: the US Census Bureau. I volunteered that I already completed my form, completely and honestly, signed and returned it, but the caller told me that, according to the law, the US Census Bureau has to contact each and every person who submitted a completed census to verify the information!! How anyone can verify information with a phone call I'll never know because a person who will lie on the form will lie more easily on the phone.

I then asked what kind of information needs to be verified? Basically ... the whole census form, including the list of did you give birth; has anyone moved in or out; was I confined to a shelter or facility; was I sheltering anyone in my home; have I been out of the country, serving in the military ... all the questions I have already answered. What the hell?

Sure, she's just doing what she's paid to do, but the purpose of redundancy is to provide depth, not just go over what's already been gone over. What a waste of my time, her time, and the taxpayer's dollars.

No comments: