Saturday, June 19, 2010

Toast and Tea

That awful feeling woke me up about 2:00 am, the sweat pouring down my face, my head pounding, and my abdominal region churning. What the heck was going on, I thought, before it suddenly hit me exactly what was going on and I ran for the toilet. By 4:00 am, the worst had passed, so I went back to sleep for a couple more hours.

The only new ingredient introduced to my system is the antibiotic for the rosacea, but I doubt that taking an antibiotic can cause vomiting and diarrhea. The face wash goes on and rinses off, and the topical cream is applied to my arms twice daily. I didn't eat anything untoward yesterday, although I was out and about and could have come in contact with someone with the flu and caught it inadvertently.

I'm a healthy person and don't often get sick without a reason, so it's perplexing to me that I can't think of a reason for me to wake up in the middle of the night and be violently ill for several hours. Whatever hit me has passed, so I'll keep quiet today and let my body regenerate -- but have to admit that I'm hesitant to take the antibiotic this morning.

2 comments:

Liza said...

I take it back: I looked up the possible side effects, which include ...

Contact your doctor if you have diarrhea that lasts more than 2 days or if it is severe and watery.

You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells.

Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
•allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
•breathing problems
•fever
•itching in the rectal or genital area
•muscle or joint pain
•pain or difficulty passing urine
•pain on swallowing
•redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
•seizures
•severe stomach pain or cramps
•unusual bleeding or bruising
•unusually weak or tired
•white patches or sores in the mouth
•yellowing of the eyes or skin

Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
•diarrhea, vomiting
•discolored mouth, gum, lip, or teeth
•loss of appetite

The only one on this list that could possibly be helpful is the "loss of appetite," but, so far, that's not an issue. However, the nausea and headache continue to plague me.

John said...

Keep a watch on it and get to an ER or your GP if it continues or gets worse.

I'm not feeling well today. M was commenting on me feeling sweaty yesterday, and today I am having an upset stomach, headache, strong gag reflex to everything (including talking), coughing has started, and feeling cold. Looks like I'm in for a bit of something.

*respe