Monday, March 28, 2011

Local Showers

The desert has enjoyed some shower activity this past week: tearing out my old fiberglass prefab shower and replacing it with a beautiful tiled shower. I told my friend, who has done several shower remodels, to make it happen. He threw a couple of curveballs at the tile guy, including purchasing 13" tiles, rather than the 12" tiles he told me and the tile guy he planned for the reno. And, he added in the band of glass tiles to further throw the whole project off from the git-go, but the end result has been worth the effort. I have a little bench in the corner, as well as two alcoves for the shower stuff we all take with us. Perhaps the best part is the glass doors. I love the classy look they give to the bathroom, while still providing me a bit of privacy by not being completely clear.

I don't get to try the new facility until the grout is sealed, and I'm not sure when that will be. Because I've been using the guest bathroom, I replaced the shower head in there as the old one was basically useless. Don't know these things if I don't use the facility, so that's another lesson learned. The shower head in the new shower stall is one of the larger "rain forest" heads, so I'll give it a try before I replace it, and keep it if I like the water effect.

There is another gallon of green paint to repaint the walls, but I'm going to wait on the painting for a week or so and let the bathroom tell me what color it wants to be. It may not want to be green.

The project was one of those bigger expenses that cost me my total salary for teaching this semester, but it needed to be done and now it's finished. The last item on my to-do list is refinish the kitchen cabinets and add handles, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

However, I am starting April off with an April shower!

No comments: