Saturday, April 9, 2011

Failing Domino's

It's been at least a year since I've ordered a pizza from Domino's because the last pizza did not taste good. The crust was doughy and raw, but the edges were burned, as well as the pepperoni. Good pizza is a treat, but bad pizza is a total turn-off. I've been watching the commercials and listening to the claims that Domino's is doing it better and has added chicken appetizers to the menu. I like chicken strips and nuggets, and enjoy sharing them with my girls, so today I decided to treat both myself and my dogs to take-out day.

The worker who answered the phone spoke so fast that I could not understand a word she said, so I asked her to stop, slow down, and start over. She put me on hold; when the phone was again answered it was a male's voice. I asked him what happened, and he said I complained that I could not understand the person who answered the phone, so she asked him to take the call. I told him that she simply went into her canned speech so fast that it all blurred together -- and no one could have understood a word she said. Whatever; we moved on.

I ordered the medium pizza for $5.99 and decided to add the chicken pieces for an additional $5.99 as the picture on the website looks good. The pieces appear to be much bigger in the ad than they were in the box I received: I'll guess that the pieces were about 2" diameter chunks of chicken consumable in one bite, similar to what McDonald's serves as chicken nuggets. One piece was closer to what I expected the entire serving to be: a 3-bite appetizer of chicken, perhaps 3" in length. This is not a good value as the cost is not comparable to other restaurants selling chicken chunks. Kentucky Fried Chicken charges more for the same number of pieces, $6.99, but the pieces are generous and easily 4 times the size of what was in the Domino's box today. The Colonel's chicken strips totally taste not just better, but more like "real" chicken than what Domino's boxed up for me today .. regardless of the advertising claims that they use "real" chicken, not bits and pieces compressed into nuggets. Coulda fooled me ... .

Domino's wants to know how well they are doing with their improved recipes and new products, but they want my response either on Twitter (I don't) or Facebook (nope). The pizza today was an easy A, but the chicken fails on every level: portion size, taste, and price.

If you want chicken strips that taste like "real" chicken, look like "real" chicken, and are a generous serving of "real" chicken, order them from a chicken store, not a pizza shop.

1 comment:

liz said...

Was the pizza an improvement over the past?

We had Domino's while in Florida and it was fine. The best part was probably the delivery tracker, so you always knew where your order was. Since Domino's in SJ is on the opposite side of town, we never order from there. I'm not sure if the Canadian side made improvements to their recipe. You'd think so, but this is the land of no biscuits at KFC, so anything is possible.

*yaphow