Tuesday, August 28, 2012

There's a Lesson to be Learned

My gardener, Jorge, arrives on time for the days I ask him to work, he works for a solid 5 hours (no break), then he thanks me for providing him with work, and calls every other month to see if my yard needs work. He bundles all the cut twigs and branches and ties them securely with twine because our trash pick-up won't take a pile of anything that's longer than 4 feet and/or not tied into a bundle. He rakes up all the loose trimmings and leaves, fastens them securely in a clean-up bag, and takes them to the trash can. Before he leaves, he uses his blower to make sure the yard is really clean.

He gets $10/hour + $10 for gas, and he doesn't want a tip: he says he's doing the job he was hired to do at the price he asked for, so it's fair and square. He usually has one client in the morning and another in the afternoon; he eats his lunch at home with his wife between the jobs.

Hello, out there: anyone learn anything from Jorge's work ethic?

1 comment:

John said...

That's great. Glad you seem to have finally found someone who will do the job and not rip you off. Huzzah!

I have never understood where the "lazy Mexican" racial stereotype comes from; pretty much every Mexican friend I've had and others I've known have been some of the hardest workers I've ever seen. Yeah, so culturally they take a two hour siesta in the afternoon; when you work from sun up to sun down, I think you're entitled to a longer lunch and a quick nap!