Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Negotiations? I Don't Think So!

Priceline says I can get a hotel in SB for up to 80% off: name my price and voila! It's a done deal.

Not.

I've been trying for 4 days to find a reasonably priced hotel in my home town so I can have some privacy and quiet during a family visit next weekend. I want to arrive on Friday, depart on Sunday, and pay about $100/night. I offered $125/night for rooms allegedly priced at $159-189, thinking that was both reasonable and fair: no deal. On the website, I found an offer for a nearby college town hotel, 2-star, which is all I need, going for $97/night, but I was locked out of that deal because I had bid on the other page of the website!

No slight to Fess Parker's beautiful facility on the beach, but I don't have $400/night to spend on a hotel. I'm going to be at my family home most of the time, even for meals, so all I need is a place to sleep, and I'm not willing to pay more than about $150/night for it.

I've given up on Priceline: Bill Shatner failed to negotiate a deal I can live with. I'll go look at some of the chain hotel websites and see what I can on my own and within my price range. Follow-up: I did go on-line and found a hotel with free internet, coffee in the room and a continental b'fast for $80/night. Granted, it's about 25 miles from my family home, but on the freeway? Piece of cake.

1 comment:

John said...

Check via Triple A and AARP as well-- those two often get some of the best deals. If not, you can often at least get a discounted rate via their cards.


PS - my word verification is "decklart". Just thought that was cool.