Wednesday, February 24, 2010

No Papa's Pizza

When I want pizza, about once a month, there are 3 major suppliers within a mile of my home. In order, I prefer Papa John's, then Pizza Hut, and third Domino's. Although I've had many, many excellent pizzas from Domino's in the past, the local one sucks. I've never tasted pizza as bad as the ones from the local Domino's, although I have not ordered one in at least a year. If they are better now, I won't know it.

Papa Johns makes great pizza; my favorite is sausage and black olive. Today, for the second time in two weeks, I spent 45 minutes dialing in to order a pizza, my coupon on my computer screen, and got a busy signal every single redial. Last month, I finally gave up and dined in at Pizza Hut, which takes forever and provides the worst service of any restaurant in the entire community. I only go there when I'm content to sit and wait and wait and wait. The food is excellent, but when there is NO service, I don't need the aggravation.

Back to Papa Johns.

We have a poor economic landscape, especially in a small desert community with a largely minimum wage financial base. There are not a lot of restaurants, and those that remain open are struggling to stay afloat. Therefore, it would seem that any food business would do whatever it takes to keep the customers flowing in -- and Papa Johns doesn't answer the phone!

I wonder how many other potential customers were calling today between 4:25 and 5:15 pm and getting the same busy signal. I even checked the phone number on the website to make sure I was dialing correctly. At one point, I considered driving to the store and asking them why the phone has been busy for a solid 1/2 hour, but am spending an at-home day today and don't feel like going out.

My bottom line is this: it doesn't matter how good the location, how big the customer base, how delicious the product, if no one can call in an order. Papa John, you've lost my business. Even though it wasn't often or that much I ordered, I'm off the call list -- perhaps along with all the other frustrated customers calling and calling and calling today.

No comments: