Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Using Protection

Here's the biggest issue I have with computer customer service: they assume that I already know everything they know! If I knew what is wrong and how to fix it, would I need to call you? When you ask me questions in computer-speak and I respond that I have no idea what you just said, it is not helpful if you answer me in more computer-speak. I need simple, non-computer words to explain what you want me to do to fix the problem with your product.

This time, it's Kaspersky. The long story is that I've had 'persky protection through my work site, but the college went with another service. I like Kaspersky, so I went on-line to figure out how to continue the service, but pay for it myself. That specific question is NOT on the FAQ portion of the ginormous website, so I began the search for a phone number. Therein lies the Secret of Kaspersky: you don't provide a phone number and no one can contact Product Support Services directly, which means many fewer employees and/or off-sourcing the services to a foreign country.

By accident I fixed the first problem: I uninstalled the previous Kaspersky, then went back and tried the download again and, surprisingly, that worked. Hurrah for me! Today's issue, however, may not be as easy as the protection failed yesterday. I went to my private support drawer to figure out what the heck to do this time, but to no avail: I'm not sure what that area is or why I have it or what I'm supposed to do with it, but it does not seem to address this problem. I've spent over an hour trying to figure out what to do to fix this as I now have no internet security on my laptop and a warning of a threat.

I'm going to try the phone call and see if anyone can tell me, in simple English words, what I do next -- or would be willing to refund my $100 payment for Kaspersky. At this rate, it may not be worth what I'm paying in adjunct costs for a service that seems way above my pay grade.

AH-HA!! I decided to heck with it and went to the uninstall section of the computer -- and when I opened that function, I was given an option to REPAIR a program. Did it; it works; I'm good until the next stumble.

No comments: