Friday, December 24, 2010

Doc Update

What's another potential surgery to fix the mess left by the last surgeon? The untreated ACL injury has scarred over, but that does not mean it's fixed by any means. I head into PT for at least 2 months to see if I can rebuild the atrophy in my right leg from limping around for a year. If the muscles can respond and strengthen, I may be able to avoid an ACL surgery, but the damage has been done, so I have to tuck that prospect into the back of my mind, along with the hip replacement and, perhaps, a surgery to deal with the lumbar disc that is ... gone is perhaps the best word to describe the situation.

The body is a marvelous machine that keeps running well beyond what we not only subject ourselves to, but force ourselves to do just to make it through each day. When it seemed impossible to stand on my feet and take even one step, I made it through the day, doing whatever had to be done however I could accomplish it. I've been able to keep on keeping on, but in the process, my body has paid a punishing price. There is no going back, and the road ahead is going to be tough, too, but it's time to stand up again and get moving forward.

A body in motion has a better chance of staying in motion than a body that sits down and refuses to stand. Off the couch and keep moving. The dogs have been patient, but they want to go for their daily walk!!

No comments: