Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Big Box Buy

Just returned from a quick trip to check window prices at the big box stores. I can replace like to like the living room window for a total installed price of $1k, which is 1/2 what the other guy quoted me yesterday. With this price, I have a good chance at getting the insurance company to pay some of it as it's almost a wash with just replacing the 2/3 of the double-pane glass that is damaged, according to my forays into trying to get quotes.

Although yesterday's salesman assured me that anything I get from the big box stores is going to be crap, I got a free upgrade to a higher energy level via a special promotion--and they guarantee the installation or redo it. I can also order the sliding glass door replacement like to like prior to May 4 and get the same upgrade. The door is about $2k without installation, so I'm not going to jump into that at this time: perhaps at the end of summer will be a better time, even without the energy upgrade.

I added purple salvia to the planter with the butterfly bushes that are going to shade the patio and create privacy one day, offsetting them to create a pop of color and fill in the ground level. My goal is to overplant so that enough vegetation survives to make the plan work, rather than putting in just what I want to be there and losing 1/2 of them to the summer sun.

Whatever happens, happens, but I'm going to hope for the best on this AND KEEP MIA OUT OF THE BACKYARD!

No comments: