Sunday, April 27, 2008

What a Wonderful Weekend

Friday morning, I shared b’fast with my local friends and asked them to send positive energy out so my son’s approval to relocate to Canada would finally be granted. It’s his birthday weekend, and there is nothing that could make him happier.

It worked.

Friday he received confirmation of his immigration application from the Canadian embassy in LA. There are a couple of little steps that have to be completed, but he’s ready to start packing as his last day at work is the 30th of April. Although he’s been married for over a year, he’s lived apart from his wife while they have gone through the immigration process, as well as a beautiful church wedding to confirm the civil vows they exchanged a year ago February.

Saturday morning, I drove to LA and spent the day sharing a birthday adventure that took us to the Festival of Books at UCLA and then some sightseeing in Hollywood and Beverly Hills. We did a few of the tourist things, including lunch at the original Barney’s Beanery, the stop at the famous footprints, and a walk through the Kodak Theater, but it was too hot to do too much. By the time we returned to Orange County and I picked up my car, we were all hot and tired.

My drive home was uneventful due to the light traffic (for a change), but the transition from the 60 to I-10 reopened within minutes of my arrival at that spot, where a minor brush fire was started by a traffic collision on I-10 earlier in the day.

Sunday, my movie buddy and I saw Miss Pettigrew, an odd film, to say the least. It is very much a comedy of manners, with the overly-stylized costumes, acting and dialogue, and, at times, reminded me of an amateurish high school production of inexperienced actors. I enjoyed it, but would not watch it again as this movie is truly a case of once is enough.

Tomorrow, back to the yard landscaping project as temps hover in the high 90s and tickle the low triple digits. If I’m out early enough—or stay outside later in the evening—I can finish up the last of the in-process projects while I contemplate whether to call in concrete guys or lay out a brick patio myself. It’s a decision I’ll make soon, after I finish weighing the pros and the cons of both methods. I already know it’ll cost me less to do the bricks myself, but that’s because my labor is free!

I just have to answer the question: Do I REALLY want to carry and place 900 bricks all by my lonesome? If the answer is yes, I go place the order; if the answer is maybe, I'll read some of the new books waiting for me by my bed; and if the answer is no, I go shopping for the concrete guys.

No comments: