Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Birds Do It, Bees Do It, But Dogs Do It Better

Mia doesn’t like either cats or birds, especially if said invaders breech her yard. Because I’ve replanted all the edges of the backyard, I’m trying to get Mia to dig elsewhere … anywhere else in the yard she chooses … just NOT in the newly-planted vegetation.

I noticed a rather large mound nestled in among the newly-planted hedge along the edge of the driveway, behind one of the rocks I stood up for artistic interest during this phase of the landscaping. Hm, thought I, perhaps there are gophers enjoying the fresh plants, so I leaned over to investigate and brushed the freshly-turned dirt to the side.

Mia took out another pigeon! They fly too close to her or, gasp, actually land in her yard and they are (literally) dog food! Thankfully, alerted by the noise of dispatching the invader, I can usually scoop up the remains and deposit them across the street for the scavengers before Mia settles in for her snack as I just cannot abide the thought that she would actually eat the fruits of her labors, but she’s a dog. A big dog. A big dog who really doesn’t like either cats or pigeons.

She’s been back to the burial site several times since I removed the body, scratching and sniffing, perhaps wondering where the hell her late-night snack got off to, but I keep “no-noing” her and, so far, she’s left the area each time I’ve caught her there.

We’ll see what it looks like in the morning. It could well be that I'll have to replant the entire hedge when she can't find her buried treasure. Maybe I'll go put a dog bone in the same spot and trick her into thinking that's what she buried?

Sure, that's going to work. Not.

No comments: