Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Honoring Earth Day

In recognition of Earth Day, I took all the yard clippings in the back of the truck to the dump, where there is a green recycling section. Upon arrival back home, I washed the truck inside and out, watering the plants in the process and turning the hose off when I wasn't using it.

I've also been using the dish water to water the plants. I used to do this all the time, but stopped when I began living by myself and not doing many dishes. Now, I'm back on board with recycling the dish water.

I also planted the climbing hedge plants along the driveway edge of the back yard, even though I don't have the rocks to make the border (yet). I put in a temporary restraint and built up the dirt in the planting bed, so it'll be okay until I find more rocks. It was important to finish the planting before it's too hot to establish plants.

The soaker hoses aren't going to work in the planter beds, so I'm going to have to install a watering system sooner than later if I want this project to thrive. It's a simple install, so I'll see if someone has time to do it for me before I leave for my summer adventure with Jack.

No comments: