Saturday, April 5, 2008

Woodja Believe It?

Yesterday was an interesting day as I had another close call at the "Death Corner," an intersection that probably would be safer if no one ever had to use it!

What is it about drivers who have to stop at a T-intersection? They are coming cold onto a very busy thoroughfare--cars that do NOT stop at the same time they do--so they need to be sure it is safe to pull ahead of cars traveling the speed limit: in this case, a posted 55 mph.

Nah, it's more fun to see if you can beat the oncoming traffic onto the road, even when it means that the speeding traffic has to slam on brakes, swerve, and pray that they will live to finish the morning commute. This time, I also put my brights on as I screamed up to his back bumper, hoping to provide the driver with a visual realization that he just pulled in front of a vehicle traveling much faster than he had figured.

Later in the day, I was walking through a parking lot and a balloon fell out of the sky and landed on my head! Really. It plopped onto my head and then fell to the ground in front of me. What are the odds anyone will be hit in the head with the remnant of a celebratory balloon?

Finally, my friend, who insisted on driving to the fast-food restaurant of her choice for our weekly Friday night feast, swerved across a double-lane turning intersection and came very close to side-swiping the car next to us. Fortunately, that driver saw what was coming and avoided the collision. My friend isn't a very good driver, one of those who speeds up, slows down, changes lanes, talks constantly--and screams at other drivers who don't act in accordance with her perception of how they should act.

Needless to say, I'd rather do the driving. That wasn't an option this time, but I'll be more insistent in the future.

On the good news side of life, someone showed up with trucks and trailers and actually began cleaning up the remains of the former next-door neighbor's tenantcy. I saw 3 loads leave the area, but there is more to remove. The man doing the cleaning said the property has gone into foreclosure, so I'm wondering if the other tenants at the back of the property will also have to vacate. That will be too bad as the one man who lives there is nice, quiet, and likes my dog. If I had the funds to purchase and renovate the property, I'd do it.

Finally, I replanted some of the plants that didn't make it through the desert winter. In the process, I uncovered the small black hose used for the drip system, so this morning I'll go out and recover it by reraking the stones. I'm so pleased with how nice the yard continues to look and how easy it is to maintain.

No comments: