Friday, April 25, 2008

A Yard's Worth of Work

Today, on the way home from b'fast, I stopped at the big box store for supplies aimed at completing 2 specific tasks: hide the dog run and finish the planter along the edge of the driveway.

Mission accomplished!

Chain link fence isn't attractive, so I decided to cover it with vinyl latticework when I walked by the display and saw it was 20% off. I added a 100-piece package of vinyl zip ties and voila! The dog run is hidden. Believe it or not, I used up all the zip ties and could actually use another package so the lattice doesn't lift in the winds, but I think it's okay.

I staked up the hedge plants, then completed the rock boundary, added more black planter soil to the bed, and watered it in. What an improvement that little change made. I decided that I'm going to use redwood fence slats for the border along the oleander, as well as along the fence for the dog run, but I don't think I'm going to plant that area until the fall as it's taking me too long to get to that part of the project.

I still haven't painted the last privacy screen and epoxied it to the cement, but that's on tap for Sunday morning as it won't take long. I've avoided doing it while the winds have been blowing, but it's supposed to be HOT, HOT, HOT and no wind, so the timing is perfect.

Now, here's the deal: the big box store is having a home improvement promotion, so for every $1k a customer who signs up for the card spends, the store is going to send a $100 gift card. If I get a tax rebate (which I probably won't due to the "bonus" money from my STRS account when I retired) and add to it the gift cards I'm going to get, I can pay for the bricks I need to make the patio! I got the card prior to ordering the windows, which starts me off at $3k, but I'm not going to spend another $1k just to earn another $100 gift card!

Anyway, the yard is looking nice and I can't wait to have a functioning gliding patio door so I can go outside and use the patio.

No comments: