Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Cute (Tee-Hee) Moment

One of the classes meets twice a week and it's a 4-credit class. We met last week Tuesday, again on Thursday, and then yesterday, prior to the power outage.

As I was checking the role, I asked one student why she missed class last Thursday.

"Uh, I think I did really well on my placement test, professor," she said, with a smug look on her face, "because I only have to attend the class on Tuesday."

Okay, so I wanted to guffaw, while the rest of the students looked bewildered, but she was so obviously proud of her accomplishment on the placement test, especially when she realized that everyone else has to attend twice a week, that I checked my grin.

We went outside for a quiet moment so I could explain that everyone has to attend twice a week, including her. She, however, showed me her schedule, which has class meeting on "TR," which is the college designation for "Tues-Thurs," but she wasn't aware that "R" is the code for "Thursday." Hence, the confusion.

"That's going to be a problem," she confided, "because I can only come to class on Tuesday." After signing up for her classes, she scheduled a mandatory group meeting for each Thursday, which works out perfectly because (in her mind) the class only meets on Tuesday.

Ta-da.

I'm not sure if she came to realize by the end of our discussion that she either has to attend the class twice a week or drop it, but we'll see tomorrow.

No comments: