Thursday, August 7, 2008

My Decision

The appointment scheduler called today to set up the MRI; however, it was for the cervical spine. I explained that the problem is in my hand, so I'm not sure why my spine is being imaged. I asked if she could check with the doctor and request that my left hand is included in the MRI, which she said she would do.

The doctor's receptionist just called to inform me that it is the doctor's opinion that an MRI of my left hand is not medically warranted based on his examination. Well, considering that he never either saw me nor examined my left hand, he has no idea about my medical condition. The reason for the MRI is to rule out potential causes for the existing symptoms, and I don't feel like playing into that process at this time.

Therefore, I contacted the MRI center and told them to cancel the appointment, called back the knee surgeon's office and told them not to schedule any further appointments regarding my left hand, and have a call in to my referring physician to get the name of someone else with whom I can make an appointment, preferably a doctor who will actually LOOK at my hand before deciding what is -- or what is not -- medically warranted.

My goal is to determine what IS causing the symptoms, not what is NOT causing them, and I want a doctor who is on the same page.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your experience.Doctors benefit from new technology on the market; namely technology that allows their practices to be more cost-efficient and productive. Appointment scheduler with automated appointment reminders can help doctors to improve the efficiency of their practices and increase their existing patient satisfaction as well.