Sunday, August 10, 2008

Ketchup

The dogs were barking ferociously out back, so I wandered in that direction to see what was the matter. The next-door neighbor's above-ground pool is empty, and the winds picked it up and deposited it high above the fence and headed in the direction of my dog run. With all the flapping plastic and fury of the wind, the dogs were determined to pounce on it and take care of the problem. I poked at it with a broom, but could only move it slightly as it's a big pool; however, when I heard 2 boys playing kick ball across the street, I asked them to climb over the fence and pull the pool back into the neighbor's yard, which they did. Problem temporarily solved, but I think the neighbors may have lost the use of what appears to be a nice, big above-ground pool.

Meanwhile, George who is not really George came home, and he's upset because he has 20 days to vacate his studio apartment. He's looked everywhere but cannot find another studio or one-bedroom apartment. His son cannot provide him with a room because his house is too small and the family too big. George takes such good care of his place, watches out for me, and spoils Mia with little treats, and I'm going to miss him. If I had the money to buy the property and fix it up, I would as it's a great opportunity for steady income.

Grady's mom hasn't had a terrific time in Costa Rica: she's been robbed a total of 3 times during her vacation and cannot wait to come back home. She'll pick Grady up Tuesday while I'm visiting my friend at the coast. I must remember to leave Grady's things on the outside table. I must remember to leave Grady's things on the outside table. I must remember ... .

I replanted all the plants lost during the summer, including 2 in the paver patio, 2 alongside the driveway, 1 in the 1/2 clay flower pot, and 2 in the front yard planter. All of the replacement plants now have a water source since the plumber did a great job installing the paver patio watering system, and then reworking the front yard system. The timers are set, with the backyard on a separate system from the front. He said he'll stop by a couple of times during the next few weeks to check on the system function, which is great if he actually does so. Most people, once they finish a job, move on to the next with nary a glance behind.

I worked for about 10 hours this weekend updating syllabi and class materials, so I'll be ready for the first day of school on the 18th. Teaching 11 credit hours a week will be fine and should earn enough income to pay for continuing my medical care through January. I figured it out: I pay $6420 annually in insurance premiums, 20% of all non-allowable charges, as well as co-pay for prescriptions and medical services -- and I can't ask to have an MRI on the body part affected with a problem that needs to be diagnosed. If, however, I were indigent and had no medical insurance, all this would be FREEEEEEE!

No comments: