Friday, August 1, 2008

Sink It!

After making calls to plumbers in the area, I decided that I could do the job myself of removing the garbage disposal and connecting the drainage pipes without it, especially when the estimates ran from $275 to $450! As I explained to each of the plumbing services I called, I don't want to replace the garbage disposal, just remove and reconnect the plumbing without it.

They must be thinking about using the gold-plated pipes to accomplish this task, rather than matching the ugly, black, pre-existing pipes. Unfortunately, after paying for a new alternator and replacing the microwave, I have to find a less expensive work-around than what I've been quoted.

I took and printed some photos, then drove to the big box store and found the kitchen plumbing guy, who admitted that he knows nothing about kitchen plumbing, but could call a friend who does. Said friend is a plumber who just happens to have time today to come to the house and make the kitchen sink functional again -- without a garbage disposal and/or gold-plated pipes. He has a formal business card, as well as a website, which I checked out, and seems to know how to do the job. He carries the pipe on his truck, so I didn't have to buy those, just the sink drain fixture.

I'm thinking how hard can this be to do, but I've been ripped off before and this may well be another scam. However, if the drain functions without dripping, that'll be good enough for me. We'll see.

1 comment:

Liza said...

Wa-hoo! The plumber did a great job with a minimum of fanfare, checked the slowly-filling toilet, and spoke English the entire time he was here!

One in the win column.