Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Good News and Okay News

The monthly cost for my Cobra health insurance is dropping $43.10; however, the out-of-pocket expenses are literally doubling! For instance, the annual deductible was $250 for an individual; the first of October it will be $500. I'm not one to run to the doctor for every little ache and pain, but I hope to find out what's wrong with my left hand before the cost of that knowledge doubles.

There are 2 female adjunct faculty members at the community college with the same name -- my first name. We are both women, sorta blonde, have eyes, ears, noses, and breasts, and we both wear glasses. In essence, we really don't look all that much alike, but personnel at the campus simply cannot distinguish between us. Thus, one of the classes I'm teaching during the day is "assigned" to her, and no matter that I have corrected that error three separate times (so far), the person in charge of correcting the published info continues to give her my class.

Ditto on my assignment sheet: I had to add the class to my paperwork before I'd sign it -- and they had to remove it from her paperwork before she signed hers. Because I have gone to the person face-to-face and explained the error, received sincere apologies, and been assured the error was corrected, I'm not sure why the most recent change notice still has it wrong.

I'm continuing to receive mail for people at my street address who don't live here. I've talked to my carrier, as well as the counter reps at the PO, and, finally, talked to the top dog at the local PO. Each and every time I have specified that if the mail does not have MY name on it, don't deliver it. It's that simple. I am the only person who lives here, I have lived here since January 2000, so it's time to stop delivering other people's mail.

Ah-ha, I thought, when the familiar names finally stopped arriving in my box. Alas, I groaned, when this week two new names showed up on mail delivered to my address. I've been back to the PO and gone through it all again, but who knows? I've explained that it could be someone who is using my house as a mail drop, or someone attempting to steal my identity, but whatever the case, the mail should NOT be delivered to the box because they don't live here.

I baked cookies today to take to the copy center worker before I teach my class tomorrow as she accommodates last minute emergency copy work with a smile. Yesterday, because I had 2 new class members show up, I needed copies of the workbook so they could work with the rest of the class. They're already last week behind, so didn't want them to be this week behind too. Tiffany took care of it right away and laughed off my thanks, but she goes above and beyond, which I want to recognize.

However, for the first time in probably forever, I over-baked a batch of cookies! I like cookies that are just baked because I don't eat dry, crunchy cookies. Although the batch isn't black on the bottom, just nicely brown, I'm embarrassed to give them to her and baked another batch. I haven't decided if I should feed them to the birds or just throw away the browned cookies, so they are still waiting on me for a decision.

Lastly, I've been working on a PowerPoint presentation for the frosh comp class. I used several sources, added clip art for interest, and ran a quote re: the writing process across the bottom of each slide. I've tried to get the presentation to "pak 'n go," but it won't. I don't know how to take the pieces and make them work, so I'm going to save what I have to a flash drive and stop by the IT classroom tomorrow and see if someone can help me to finish the project so I can use it. I'm tired of working this hard and having nothing to show for it.

That's it, the good news/not as good news of the day. It's still muggy outside, hot, and August. I can't wait for mid-September so it cools off a bit and I can resume going outside. I think my currently crabby self is a direct result of spending too much time inside when I'd rather be outside and doing something.

No comments: