Friday, September 11, 2009

And This is a Good Idea How?

It isn’t often that one can apply the old saw, “cutting off your nose to spite your face,” to an actual life event, but when it happens, it happens. On the way to LaJolla today, I heard a news reporter explain that Ellen is being sued for playing the music to which she, and often her guests, dance at the opening of her TV show. Seems that the record company executive voicing the complaint has never received a check from Ellen – and the label wants her to pay them the money for the music.

I have a limited knowledge of contemporary music, but Ellen’s musical knowledge is legendary – along with her showcase of both new music and new musicians. Ellen’s endorsement of music is analagous to Oprah’s book club: if Ellen plays it, dances to it, hypes it – it makes money. Lots of money. For the artist, as well as the label.

If Ellen says, gentlemen, here’s a check; I won’t be playing any more of your label's music, I can pretty much guarantee that will be not just a deal breaker for Ellen, but a career-ending decision for the idiot who thought this was a good idea. Bad business decision even during a booming economy. In this economy, your lawsuit defines bad business practice.

I’d be crawling on my hands and knees to beg Ellen’s forgiveness for my momentary loss of sanity and the public declaration that she owes me anything. I'd be supplying her with free music for as along as her show is on-air. And all her friends, family, shirt-tail relatives: you get the picture?

I'm just sayin' ...

1 comment:

John said...

When I mentioned this to my wife, she and I had the same exact comment-- who is this idiot who doesn't understand the free publicity Ellen gives to artists and their music? How can someone not get that, if anything, she is increasing sales and awareness.

The RIAA and record labels have been shooting themselves in the foot for about 10 years now, though. They refuse to modernize, refuse to admit the old ways of doing things don't work any more, and can't seem to understand how to make profits in the new economy. It's too bad, really.