Thursday, September 17, 2009

Summer Casualties

The desert enjoyed a few sample fall days, but it's heating up again for the weekend, a typical annual pattern. Just when we all think it's safe to head back outside to enjoy the early evening, the temps jump 20 degrees before admitting defeat and allowing the temperate fall to arrive.

My back garden has been beautiful until August: last night, I was pulling out dead shrubs. Expensive dead shrubs that I planted as part of the landscaping project and which were vibrant touches of color that enticed the butterflies and hummingbirds to sit outside with me. When the temps climbed well into the hundred+teens and the harsh winds blew ferociously across the desert floor, it was as if a torch had been held to the bushes. Surprisingly, two plants survived, but five of them need to be replaced, a task I will do this very day.

The other drawback to an incredibly hot month is the electric bill: $270. Of course, the nice computer-generated note that came with the bill assured me that I can cut costs if I'm careful, but ya know, I already keep the thermostat at 88 and learn to adjust to the seasonal changes naturally, so I'm not going to push it any higher. When it's 117 outside, 88 inside feels fine, but when it's 117 outside, the system is going to run and run and run regardless of what temp I select!

Along with that bill came my first official bill from CalCobra: for significantly more money than I have already paid. I immediately called the contact listed on the bill, a person with whom I have spoken several times, and he explained that yes, I have paid through December, but my rate was raised in July -- and I have not paid enough to cover the insurance. I told him that I have never received a billing notice, so have been paying 3 months at a time to ensure that my coverage is continuous, especially when I was out of state on vacation.

"Hm," he responded. "You have not received a bill?

"Nope," I assured him, "not one single bill."

He provided me with the balance due and assured me that I'll receive a bill for January in December, but I'm not going to hold my breath while I'm waiting for that to happen.

Last on the list for Liza's life is that the engine light came on in the truck on the trip home from class yesterday. I'm sure it means that I need the 25k service, but that's another appointment I have to make, one where I sit and wait for the work to be finished because once I drive to the service center -- I have no way to get either back home or anywhere else!! And I'm sure that my car is also ready for service as both vehicles seem to be like girls and menstrual cycles: they always end up in sync, but no one knows quite why.

I'm prepping for the family get-together this weekend, making both cookies and a chicken casserole. I'm cleaning the house Saturday, not because it's dirty, but because it's a dog hair repository. I don't have guests often enough, but I do enjoy it when people share themselves with me, so I'm looking forward to this gathering.

No comments: