Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Brown Becomes Psychic Delivery Service

My former husband sent me a package: cool, huh? It would be if I could get the package! I didn't see the first delivery notice posted on my front screen door until too late: the second delivery had already occurred. I signed both of the package slips as I knew I would not be home for the third delivery, but no package: just a third (and final) notification.

I signed on to the website, but UPS must be a branch of the Masons: no phone number, no street address, no way to figure out how to go pick up the package. I was assured at both the website and on the back of the package delivery notification that I had 5 business days to retrieve it before it would be returned to the sender, so I decided that after returning home Monday, I'd go pick up the package, which required first driving to the local UPS store to find out either an address or a phone number. Because I was already in the car, I drove to the address, tucked next to the runway at PS Airport, not all that easy to find. Nope, they are closed when I arrive, so Business Day One has come and gone with no package, but not for a lack of trying.

Business Day Two, today, Tuesday, I drove to UPS to pick up the package, but they were closed: don't open until 9 am, and I arrived at 8:30 am. No problem as I was on my way to Lowe's to buy a new 'fridge (free delivery, installation, and removal of the old box were my motivation to pick Lowe's because my 'fridge is now freezing everything in the cold box and freezer burning everything in the freezer). I bought a black 'fridge (with an ice maker), which will sort of match the black front on the stove, but not the beige dishwasher or the white beverage 'fridge. Oh, well. Paid for, delivery arranged, my coffee purchase done at Wal-Mart, I drove back to UPS.

Sorry: you weren't home for the delivery service, so the package has been returned!

"There must be a mistake," I gently chided the counter person. "I have 5 business days to pick up the package before it's returned. This is only Day Two of the Five."

Sorry: our policy has changed and we attempt delivery three times -- then return the package.

"What? That's not what it says on the back of these three delivery notifications, nor on the website. It clearly says that I have five days to pick up the package."

Sorry: that's no longer our policy. You can call customer service and see if the sender will resend it, but you'll probably have to pay again for shipping.

"No, that is not going to happen. I'm not psychic, so how would I know that you've changed your policy -- but not your notification of delivery slips nor your website. It's on you: deliver my package."

Sorry: we can't do that. However, you are welcome to talk to our manager and explain your problem. (He provides me with directions, I find the office, and I ask to speak to said manager.)

We go through the whole thing again, with her assuring me that it's their "new policy," and me questioning how I would know that if both the delivery slips and the website assure me I have five days to pick up the package before it's returned. She's very sorry for the confusion, but it's their new policy, especially because this package delivery did not require a signature.

Oh, now we went there: not two minutes before, she told me that if a package delivery requires a signature, you have five days to pick it up, but since this package didn't require a signature... . I interrupted her again to point out that it did require a signature, so I signed two of the delivery notification slips and left them affixed to my front door, but the UPS driver simply attached a final notification to those two and did not leave the package.

It took about 10 minutes for her to get it: the only place the new policy is articulated is, apparently, internally, so the delivery notification slips are out-of-date, as well as the website. She agreed that I was relying on the published policy, not the psychic policy, and began tracking down the package so it can be returned to PS and delivered to me. Believe me, she saved the company from a scathing letter of complaint by seeing this issue from a customer's perspective, rather than continuing to articulate the company patter!

Now, I just have to figure out WHEN the delivery van is going to stop by my house so I am home at that exact moment to sign for and receive the package as no one tells you when it will be delivered until the truck has already arrived! Yes, I understand: great international company with an incredible record for delivering packages quickly, efficiently, and reasonably priced -- but not MY package.

1 comment:

John said...

The problem I'm seeing with my own issues, yours, and friends who have been exasperated by similar problems is exactly what you struggled with here-- getting them to see things from your perspective. SHE may know the policy, but regardless of her personal knowledge there was absolutely no way for you to know it or follow it.

You followed what was provided by the company for these instances and, regardless of what she says, becomes a binding agreement between you and the company. They MUST honor it, or be held accountable in court for it (not that you have the time, money, or patience to take them to small-claims court).

Getting people out of their Not My Fault/Problem and into a helpful attitude and frame of mind seems to be the hardest thing to do. If you can find the person willing to help, you're golden.

PS - my word is "dorsgri" -- sounds like a fish dish at an expensive restaurant.