Thursday, September 17, 2009

Out of the Microwave and Into the Deep Fryer

Why does it take 1-1/2 hours to buy a few replacement plants and a set of outdoor fairy lights? I went to K-Mart; I went to Wal-Mart; I went to Lowe's; I went to Home Depot; and then I went to the family-owned hardware store that's way out of my way at the far end of Palm Springs -- and they had the lights! On sale! 40% off -- so I bought 4 packages of them. But, what should have been a quick in 'n out was a round trip of 40 miles!

Good news: the plants are in and watered and the fairy lights changed out. Because the family-owned hardware store is changing its focus, it's having one of those we're selling everything, including the kitchen sink, really cheap, so I stood in line with an impressive array of very buff men who obviously work in construction or contracting. Their bulging biceps were bursting with all kinds of hardware items at 40% off, which should beef up their bottom line too.

As I was driving back home with 4 sets of fairy lights and 2 new outdoor fixtures for the outlets by the front entry, I was listening to Mark & Brian on The Eagle. They are such a hoot, but are crossing the distasteful line a bit too often these days for me. However, today they had on Chicken Charlie, the guy at the LA County Fair who deep fries everything. M&B invited him to come to the radio station, prepare some of his best food items, and then conduct a taste test.

Well, if you believe M&B, and believe me, they don't lie, deep-fried Oreos are the winner, followed closely by zucchini and a wienie dipped in corn meal batter, and deep-fried avocado. I'll admit these don't sound all that good on the surface, but these radio guys were way beyond enthusiastic. If it weren't such a nightmare to drive to the Pomona Fairplex, find parking, then push my way through the thousands and thousands of people who attend the fair, I'd be tempted to stand in line and try one of ... everything.

Chicken Charlie is going to be on Conan MONDAY, so I may DVR the show and see what these heart attack packets look like as they come out of the deep fryer.

PS: Thanks, Daphne, for the corrections about the LA County Fair! I still may make the drive as I've been thinking about that deep-fried Oreo all day :-)

1 comment:

Daphne said...

Hi Liza,

Just wanted to let you know that Chicken Charlie will be on Conan on Monday, not tomorrow, in case you wanted to catch it on DVR.

(Also, the LA County Fair is at the Pomona Fairplex, not in Ontario)

We hope you come out to visit us at the Fair and try one of Chicken Charlie's delicacies!

All the best,
Daphne from the LA County Fair