Saturday, July 28, 2007

Desert Landscaping

Today is the first day of the desert landscaping project. Since a project has to start somewhere, I decided to do the smallest section, the part that I already know how I’m going to plant: in a gay profusion of colorful lantana!

I started digging before the sun came up and almost finished removing the existing grass by the time it was too hot to continue. I have about another hour before all the grass is out, and perhaps that will be done tonight after the sun moves way into the west, leaving the front of the house in shade. I’m going to buy about 7 plants, each one a different color, and just randomly plant them in the area, then cover the bare ground with wood chips (I think) to keep the dirt from blowing and to help keep the water where I want it.

Next will be the larger area to the left of the driveway, which is going to be stripped, covered with landscaping cloth, and heaped with ground gravel. No planting; no water; no maintenance.

Phase 3 will be the largest part of the yard, which I want to strip of all grass, cover with landscaping cloth, heap with some huge boulders to create a focus, and then plant with a variety of semi-indigenous desert plants in and around the huge boulders, leaving most of the yard plain. I know how I want it to look when it’s done, but I also know it’s impossible for me to do that part of the project without some help, so I’m going to find an equipment rental place and ask about a tool that will take out all that grass without my having to dig it out by hand.

Then, I’m going to have to find a person to bring the rocks, most of which are already in the empty lots on my block, but there is one special rock a couple of streets over that I really want as it’s a bench! Yep, a natural bench, and it’ll look great, so I have to find a person who can bring it to me.

The other part of this that I cannot do is the watering system because there has to be water, but there are so many buried pipes already that I have no idea which ones are connected, which ones go where, etc. I’m going to ask a friend to untangle that part because I think what is already there can be disconnected, and just the pipes I need for the two areas that will have plantings can be installed. It won’t hurt to leave a lot of plastic pipe underneath it all!

Once the landscaping is finished, the fence people will come install the fencing; it was their suggestion to complete the changes to the yard before fencing, which makes sense, but does delay enclosing the property to keep out the visiting neighbors and pets.

So, confident as I am about most of the projects in my life, let’s see how far I get on this one before either collapsing or causing myself bodily injury.

No comments: