Sunday, July 29, 2007

Phase One: Project Yard

The phase one area is down to the basics: bare earth, my big rock, and the weed plant I really like.

Tomorrow, I need to relocate 2 more large rocks from the back yard into the cleared space, plant a big weed plant by each of those rocks, then fill in the blank areas with lantana. It'll look nice, add some interest to the front yard, be colorful and require low maintenance.


I'm going to shower, then shop for the landscaping cloth and the plants. I think I have help tomorrow with moving the rocks from a man who lives up the street. I stopped to admire his front yard and he said he would help me with mine. I told him I'll pay him $10/hour, but he can only work while I'm working: no working without supervision and then claiming he's put in umpteen dozen hours so he gets paid big bucks. Been there; done that; no reruns.


The side yard is next, but it's just dig out the dead grass, put down the landscaping cloth, and cover it with crushed rocks. I'm not planting anything on that side at all.


So far, so good. By next weekend, I should have both small areas finished, and then it's time to work on the main front yard. Whoopee!

2 comments:

Liza said...

I moved in the rocks, then moved them around, which was not easy as some of them are big & heavy. I think they are placed where I want them, so will plant tonight and see what it looks like in the morning.

The most important rock, the bigget one, the anchor, I cannot move by myself, so I'm going out looking for help to roll the rock onto the hand truck and drag it across the street and into a place already marked.

So far, I've spent $150 for mulch, landscaping cloth, plants, a piece of wood for edging. The professional estimate for the entire project was $3500, so I'm going to save $$ by doing this myself, but that won't matter if it looks like crap when I'm finished.

We'll see.

Liza said...

Well, can't find anyone to help me move in the anchor rock, but I've finished all the planting, leaving a big space for that rock when it comes across the street! Man, it looks good.

tomorrow, when it's cool, I'll put down landscape cloth here and there, add the decorative rocks, and then take a foto. I'm loving it and know that the rest of the yard is going to look as good.