Saturday, July 21, 2007

Foodie

Unfortunately, I have many bad food habits. The worst habit, chocolate, has been taken care of in the form of total abstinence. I've read that all it takes to change a habit is 21 days, but that's bull roar: I haven't had chocolate in about 10 months, and I still want it every single hour of every single day. I just don't eat it.

My other bad eating habit is gorging on single foods. I find something that tastes good and I eat way beyond it tastes good or I'm still hungry. Yesterday, it was fresh asparagus. I went to Sam's Club and bought the big bundle, about 2 pounds of fresh asparagus, to cook up and eat for several days. My cooking method is to clean the veggie, then put it on a silpat, drizzle with EVOO, sprinkle with coarse sea salt, and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, depending on how much asparagus I'm preparing.

Yum-Oh!

I sampled a piece hot out of the oven, then another piece, then sat and ate all of it during the next hour! Now, I not only don't have my fresh veggie for the rest of the weekend, but I don't care if I never see another stalk of asparagus, and it's one of my favorite veggies.

I also bought the huge bag of broccoli flowerets, but I separated them into little freezer baggies and only cook one portion at a time, which is what I should have done with the asparagus.

There is an artichoke awaiting prep, but it's easy not to binge on a veggie that is currently selling for $3.99 each.

It could be worse: I could still be bingeing on Hershey's almond kisses, so I guess stuffing myself to overdose on asparagus isn't all that bad--and I can always go back to Sam's and buy more if I ever develop an asparagus craving again in this lifetime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just read this entry after returning from an extended vacation. If you recall, you and I had a converstaion a few months ago on this very topic. I shared my experiences with billing at this same hosipital after my husband was admitted. Your blog describes that situation to a T. I mailed a letter of complaint with a payment for the deductable on my inusrance. Since then, I have received a few EOBs from the insurer and perhaps two bills from the hospital and attending MDs. I think our experience is the norm rather than the exception. Let us know your test results and take care. PJ