Thursday, July 5, 2007

Popcorn Anyone?

If you’re going to do comedy, don’t have it church-specific and don’t use a child as a tool.

License to Wed could be really funny, but it’s not because it revolves around a cleric engaging in some outrageously inappropriate conduct and using a child to conduct criminal behavior. I watched it all the way through and was not thrilled with having done so.

Then, because it’s in excess of 115° in the desert, I stayed around and watched Evening, not the greatest idea if you’ve already watched a mother die in her bed at home from cancer.

The mother is supposed to look age-appropriate for 2 sisters in their late 30s, but she looks more like their grandmother! Of course, there’s the sister dysfunction, which I know up close and personal, as well as the hallucinations, which I also know up close and personal, as well as the floating memories of a time long past that could be real or imagined as the drugs drip into the veins. It wasn’t pleasant going through it the first time, and reliving the experience in a theatre filled with my peers did not improve my recollections.

All in all, it would have been better for me to sit on the couch and knit some more washcloths as my day at the movies was a bummer, dude.

No comments: