Saturday, May 24, 2008

I'm Still Looking for a Few Good Men ...

I was up and at 'em at 6:30 this morning, working while waiting for the guy I hired (and his friend) to show up and do some of the heavy lifting for me. I offered to pay what he thought was good money and he promised to be here between 8:15 and 8:45.

Yeah, right.

Another no show. Add him to the gardener who was stopping by on Friday to give me an estimate for the watering system I need in the new landscaping and I'm batting zero.

I'm half-way finished with phase 3, but ran out of steam about noon, when friends stopped by to say hidy. The good news is that Fat Matt moved the 2 huge rocks into place, one of the jobs for which I hired help. Where the cut-out is in the pavers, I'm planting some desert plants, which means 2 little areas along the back side of the paver patio. I already have vegetation behind where I'm standing to take the photo, and it'll stay there, outlined in native rocks.

One day, I'll have a chiminea on the right side of the patio (from where I'm standing), a seating area in the middle, and a water feature to the left of the huge rock in this view. And, when I'm rich and famous, I'll put a wooden shade structure over most of the area so it's truly useable (which it's not without shade during the summer).

The final stage of this part of the current landscaping project will be filling in from the paver patio to the rock outlined planting areas with crushed rock, which will look finished, reflect the front landscaping, and keep the sand outside.

One other noteworthy item from today is that Fat Matt says I can permanently attach the doggie door to the new slider -- and I'll get that done by the end of the week. Right now, Mia can use the doggie door during the day, but I cannot secure it at night, so I'm still getting up to let her out then back in.

No comments: